Thursday, April 22, 2010

Springtime

The weather is finally changing and along with it the birds are very busy building nests. This year the birds have chosen to build a nest right over the front porch area, somewhere in the eaves and I cannot see where. I have swept the porch every day this week as bits and pieces of twigs and leaves are scattered by the front door. The birds are already making a path towards the front door so I am sure I will be dive bombed every time I go in and out. They leave their dropping, large white puddles for me to step in and I am not a happy camper about this nest building. I really don't mind if they build a nest but why not in the lovely bird houses that dot the back yard. Why can't they be more obliging and choose a spot that is safer and more secluded than the front of my house. Oh well, to each his own, just hope that they know me and do not go on the attack every time I walk out my front door.

I am hoping for a more successful venture this year as last year they nested in the little bird house on the back porch and it was fun to watch the proceedings on a daily basis. I never did get to see their finished products but at least they seem to know me and never dived at me. One mother bird used to sit on the railing and just watch me watching her nest. I tried a tiny whistle like noise to say ' don't be afraid, I won't hurt your babies' but I think when the wind blew hard one day it blew the little house over into a very large flower pot and the signs of tiny eggs and a lot of rubble spewed into it. That may have been the end of the fledglings and I felt very sad as I wanted to see the little ones flying about and enjoying my yard.

So today, when you go outside, look around and see if a bird or two is nesting in your yard., I hope so, then you will know how wonderful it feels to bird watch and delight in their prowess as builders and parents. They set a fine example of patience, parenting and love, maybe, just maybe they are copying us . . . or could it be the other way around? Go, today is what you make of it . . . just be sure you make it a good one.

1 comment:

  1. This made me smile, Jean, just picturing the little birdhouse that Chris gave you with a little family inside. Messy, yes. Inconvenient, yes. But oh so joyous to have such up-close and personal evidence that spring is here and that the earth and all its creatures are renewing themselves.

    ReplyDelete