Saturday, April 10, 2010

Activity

The clouds passed, the waves calmed down and the sun came out for awhile. It still stayed on the cool side, a bit of a chill in the spring air but with patience we know that change will come about. Yesterday there was a 'celebration of life' for my friend Maxine who died some months ago. It was a nice feeling to walk in and see her children and grandchildren there waiting to complete their journey, as her pastor, her friends and neighbors gathered in remembrance. A small computer was programed to show pictures of Maxine, her husband and her family from the time she was born to the day she died. A glowing tribute to a woman who was friendly, funny and funky all rolled up in a tiny body with a big open mind. Her house has been sold and the new family has moved in. I had a piece of mail addressed to a Sullivan at 1100 Rowland Lane and thought it was an error, only to walk it across the street, knock on the door and find that the new family of Sullivans live there. I imagine we will have more walks across the street as the mail goes into the wrong slot.


Earlier in the morning daughter Pat and I went to a couple of yard sales but no treasures found. The big spring yard sale throughout the city is due the end of this month and we are thinking of having one, maybe, the thought of all the hard work that goes into it is quite daunting and if we decide to have a sale then we are tied up and cannot go to the other sales. Sometimes there are a hundred of them.


The surprise of the day was to get my sample copy of my new novelette and edit it, one more time, and I found a few minor flaws, a missing letter or one too many in a word. I find my fingers fly over the keys and if I do not check and recheck then I can change a word without trying. Joann will make the changes and hopefully the new novel will be ready for friends and family. It is called "Shadows of Life" and the cover picture was one I took when I visited my son in Nevada that shows a weed patch in the sun and shade. Joann is quite creative and added a figure and I was not happy with it at first but the more I looked at it, the more I could see the correlation between the figure, the sun and the shadows so it fits.


So today, a day off for all of those who are out in the working world, make it a good one by doing something just for you. Be selfish today and forget the job, the ups and downs of the week and give your mind a rest. As the saying goes, "reach out and touch someone" and make their day a fun one and watch those benefits flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment