Thursday, April 1, 2010

Phenomanal Wonders

I received an attachment to an e-mail yesterday that was a wonder . . . a phenomenal wonder of the natural world, environmental oddities and I was fascinated. There were so many pictures. I would have put them all on but it would have taken all my space with little or no room for words. Ice circles are formed by eddies in the water that spin in circular motion. As a result of the rotation other pieces of ice and flotsam slowly form an ice circle. I don't think I have ever seen an ice circle in any of the ponds we skated on as youngsters. Maybe we were just too busy having fun to notice.
I have heard of the red tide but never saw one. The article states that algae blooms, and the sudden influx of massive amounts of colored single cell algae is what creates this red tide. I don't think it harms the fish but it would cause one to wonder about eating their catch when the water turns blood red. It may be pretty to look at but I like my ocean aquamarine in the summer sun and dark and gray on a winter's morn.



Thick lava flows, cools, contracts vertically but cracks perpendicular to its directional flow with geometric regularity, forming hexagonal extrusions. The Great Causeway on the coast of Ireland is where the pictures were taken but the article also said that the largest formation is Devil's Tower in Wyoming. I want you to know those big words came from the article. I would love to have that command of the English language. There is no author or photographer to give credit to, but whomever found and sent this article and pictures made me much more knowledgeable about things I have heard of but never seen. I am grateful to my friends who send along such wonderful attachments like the oddieties of the world, or the pictures of an indepth study of a country, even music from an opera I've never been introduced to. One can never be bored when you can read and see the amazing photography of the world that surrounds us.
So today check your computer out and hopefully a friend has sent you an attachment that will light up your brain and give you knowledge and beauty that awaits your perusal. If you do not have a computer or one of those fancy new 'pods' that soon will be the 'apple' of your eye as they come out with the latest creation . You can touch a screen and travel the world, play music on a built in key board, or sing along to your thousands of recorded music . . . or you can find a National Geographic magazine and catch up with our world . . . aah, how lucky the young generation is to be able to tune in to their world and stretch their imaginations. Just don't text so much you forget to be sociable. Have fun today, it is Thursday already, the first day of April 2010 . . . April Fools Day . . . Play a good joke on someone and make them laugh out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment