Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Cute!

The latest in political awareness and I am laughing as I was trying to find a picture that would depict my gripes and groans over all of the advertisements on the television. I am about to write to my representatives to ask for them to create a bill that would put a stop to a dozen ads per minute on our television screens, giving us ten minutes of a show and fifty minutes of ads. Fat chance, I know, as they wouldn't get the big bucks for their next run for Congress or the Senate.


As I see it, this is a picture of an old fashioned housekeeper . . . where are all the latest gadgets? A corn broom, a string mop, a very old model of a vacuum cleaner, an apron from the forties, my how Madison Avenue has let us down. Don't get me wrong, I have most of these in my broom closet just waiting for me to put my apron on and get to work, but where are the new steam machines that clean everything from the floor to the ceiling? Where are the fancy no bag vacuums? When did you last see an apron for sale? Even though I mute the ads and swear never to buy the product shown, my mind absorbs the pictures without words.


My thoughts are to do away with cable. I can still watch movies and they do sell my favorite shows on dvd without an ad in sight. What a pleasure it is to watch a movie or one of the series without having to listen to or watch an ad of poor taste and getting worse all the time. I wouldn't miss the sit coms as I never watch them. I find they are usually course and the next step is vulgar. They remind me of the old T&A movies the young men thought sex was all about. Speaking of movies both on TV and in the movie theaters, I'm not finding much in quality anymore. I guess I've reached the age of 'reason', and 'stuck' in my ways.


So today turn on your television and see if you feel the same about the ads . . . see if you can come up with a solution. My thought is that if it is advertised on the show I want to watch then I wont buy the product, but then most of the stuff they advertise I can't afford anyway. . . and if I could then I'd be true to my conviction of being a captive audience and buy a different brand of whatever it is I needed. Yeah for my team!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment