Monday, February 1, 2010












If we were in Africa visiting on Safari we would find similarities in the Game Reserve much like visiting our own National Parks. Driving three abreast seems a bit much to me. Usually the roads are narrow and one car at a time is permissible. When son John and I were leaving Yellowstone National Park, some years back, we followed six huge buffalo who were in no hurry to clear the road so we could leave the park. I thought they were beautiful animals, as they gazed over their backsides and looked as if they owned the road. I can only imagine what these African animals are like. I know I wouldn't want to meet up with any one of them . . . look at the size of the hippo, and the elephants, either could topple your car if they got upset. I am not sure if that is a dingo dog or not, but I didn't find them very good to look at, rather wild I'd say. About the only time I've seen a lion or a tiger has been in a circus behind iron bars and that was fine with me. I think all wild things should be left in their natural habitat, free to live out their lives. Guess my curiosity and fear run in opposite directions.
The cartoon is a classic. It probably over states forgetfulness but it isn't far from the truth. All of us have experienced a likely story somewhere down the line. My husband never left me at the store and forgot me, although I am sure there were times he thought about it, but he drove me to the store then paced outside as he had a cigarette and waited 'patiently' for my return. To this day, I can't stand having anyone just 'wait' for me. The pressure to hurry up spoils the shopping spree. Why can't men browse? . . . it is a pleasant task. Why can't they take time to look things over instead of picking up the first item and running with it ? . . . there is no law that says shopping is strictly for women. Somewhere, someone must have laid down ground rules that shopping is for sissies. I'm no sissy, but I am a shopper . . . or browser if you like. and have spent some of my best hours in a store browsing for clothing, food or something special for a family member or a friend. When I go over to Fred Meyers huge store here in Brookings, I see a lot of men shopping . . . I wonder if they finally discovered you have to shop if you want to buy all of the things you think you want . . . how come they don't follow the list? They don't have to bring home all of those goodies . . . well, don't complain as they are out there fighting the masses and I think,in spite of themselves, enjoying it.
So, today is a good day to shop. Maybe you need new shoes, or maybe you want to buy a special treat for dinner tonight. Either way, the store is not far away and they welcome you as the little sticker prices change by the minute. Just browse, it pays off in the end. Make this February First a banner shopping day, it doesn't have to be just for holidays . . . Valentine's Day is coming in less than two weeks, so don't forget to browse and find some sweets for your sweethearts,especially those four legged animals that love you so unconditionally. Make today unforgettable, just like you.

No comments:

Post a Comment