Saturday, February 6, 2010

Musing to Muse about weather.











I watched a movie last night called "Twister" and it was one to keep you on the edge of your seat as you followed along with the tornado watchers and had a chance to imagine what it would be like to be caught in the center of the storm with no where to go. The the damage and destruction caused by a torndo is unbelievable as anything and everything is picked up and twirled in the huge cone of the storm. Animals, cars, houses and barns are reduced to rubble. The movie folks made it seem so real. All I can tell you is I wouldn't want to be caught outside as one descended from the skies. The closest I ever got to seeing one was riding along the highway to Las Vegas on my way to a convention and a thin spiral started to spin out of a storm cloud. I never heard whether it hit land or not, it was so small and thin it probably dissipated before it touched down.



This has been an extremely hard winter for a lot of folks all over the country. The East Coast was hit with a huge storm yesterday with more due in today. I had an e-mail letter this morning describing the lull between the storms. My friend is snowed in and will have to shovel her way out the front door then continue to shovel all around the house to get to the back door so she can open it. She and her pet cat are hibernating for the weekend and being a teacher she is going to put her hours to good use correcting all the papers and catching up. As she said, "the storm brings about time . . . time to do the things you need to do but never have 'time' for." I hope she stocked up and has plenty of candles in case she loses the lights and wood for the fire place if that is what it takes. She just moved into her new house, which is a very old house, and has yet to discover all the nooks and crannies. I'd like to hop a plane and join her for the weekend, sounds like fun. Here in Brookings the rain continues although we have an occasional half hour break when we see a streak of sunlight for about a half hour. Everyone goes outside just to feel the sun as we hope for a little vitamin D to keep us going. We head for the beach to see the waves whipped up by the winds that are so strong. The surf takes on colors of dark shades as the sand is whipped up in all the frenzy. You can feel the power of the water as the waves roll in, crest then break into a foamy froth that is really beautiful.


I walked out and checked the front gardens to find that the weeds are blooming and there is no way I can just pull them out this year, they are everywhere. The deer are coming in every night when all is quiet and chomping my little tiny pine tree. They gave the rhodys a rest so they are budding but I doubt that they will allow them to grow much. Why can't they eat weeds? They look appetizing. I know you can make dandelion wine, probably can cook them as a green vegetable too although I haven't tried that yet. A bit scary when I don't know a good weed from a bad one. Rhubarb is delicious but the leaves are poison. We have wild onions growing all over and have no idea how they got in my front yard. Why the wild life doesn't cooperate and eat all the weeds is beyond me, looks like a feast to me. Like life in general we have to take the good with the bad. I just wish I knew what is so good about having weeds. There are so many they must have a purpose . . . is it to feed the wild animals? Well, I wish someone could get that through to the wild deer that come by every night and nibble at all the beautiful plants.
So, today no matter what the weather is in your 'neck of the woods' enjoy it because you can. A walk in the rain always feels so good and even a walk in the snow is invigorating. Of course, if you hear a storm is heading your way make sure you are prepared with all of your favorite things to eat and drink and enjoy a bit of down time. This is the weekend to hibernate as it is the 'Big Game' . . . Football . . . wonder about those ads. . . guess we'll have to peek in if the power stays on and see what is up. Wish you were here so you could help me find a few of the puzzle pieces. I could use a little help. Make today a good one. Hugs to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment