Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Heavens

The view from the front yard was awesome as I was getting into Pat's car to go for our Sunday morning grocery shopping. I had to pull out the camera and take a picture of the sky as it looked so heavy laden with a brilliant patch of white that caught my eye. It reminded me of the burdens we carry that are heavy and deep, sometimes dark, but, as always, there is a small window of brightness that shows us that this too will pass. I am always thankful for the signs of hope. I need them to start my day and get on with what I can do today. This week is a heavy week, the legs don't want to work and I am using a walker in the house. I haven't ventured outside with it as yet, but it is a sign of my time as I will have to head for the doctor's office and see what he has to say about what can be done to keep me on 'my feet'. I have an appointment coming up and am hopeful he can lead me to someone who knows about such things. Meanwhile the new puppy Emma has come up with some problems. It is a puppy thing we hope she can outgrow. Pure bred dogs have a history of not living a long life span, and it is sad because a lot of love and hard work goes into making a good home and a good life for these animals. Pat loves her animals and takes very good care of them. She is making a good home and a good life for this little imp who has already captured our hearts. The words, "life is not fair" comes to mind.

Today the rains are coming back in to keep the blossoming weeds growing tall, a good thing, then I can hopefully bend down and snatch them up out of their complacent spots. Spring is slowly showing signs of coming around as the trees are budding and some of the garden plants are showing signs of life. The plants in the garden survived the winter months, although for a while it looked like everything was dead or dying. BUT, it does bring to mind a story poem I wrote called "Winter is Leaving"

"Winter is leaving, slowly it seems; trees still naked, gray and stark; benches free, not a soul in the park; familiar roads turning and twisting; high rocks of granite; sunshine glistening; box elders with burls, old and gnarled; standing gray and bent, getting ready to bloom; as the sap runs up from winter gloom. Winds are shifting, up high in the sky; clouds thready patterns please the eye; winter is leaving, slowly it seems; the sap is running to the top of the trees; buds are forming, soon leaves will abound; slowly but surely spring comes around."

So, today put away the what-ifs and know that 'this too shall pass', life goes on and we survive. Come to think of it, I wrote a story poem about 'What If" and think you may get a kick out of it.

'What if' is how we think; as we put our life on hold; 'what if' the weathers cold and we don't go out the door; we miss the fun in snow and sun; a walk in misty rain; and sit inside, with a sigh, wishing our life away.
'What if' we have to wait; upon a plane or train; and don't go on a trip; because of this refrain; we miss the sounds and sights to see; the people we could greet; and sit at home, with a sigh wishing our life was sweet.
'What if' we have no money; a common thought I know; for everything we want to do; has a price galore; we'd miss the walk in the park; or up a shady lane;holding hands and talking; of things we like to do; like sitting on a park bench watching a duck or two.
'What if' has got to go; from our vocabulary; take life off of hold; live each day as if its the only one, for I am me, and I am free, to be the best I am; I don't care about 'what if'; I really don't give a damn."

Now go out there in the big bad world and make it a day to remember. Stay healthy and hardy and know how much I love each of you, my favorite children, and, of course, each of my favorite friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment