Monday, February 8, 2010

Wonderment!

I never heard of Doug Landis until I received an e-mail showing the remarkable and outstanding pencil sketches he has perfected. The details bring the animals alive and it wasn't until the very end, after looking at each picture, that his own portrait, and his life story, came up on the screen telling of his handicap. According to this write- up, he was injured playing football in high school and became a paraplegic, but he has shown a dauntless spirit, and with his God given talent, a reason to live with pride and accomplishment which he shares with each and everyone of us. I would like to own one of his sketches to enjoy the beauty and the realness of the animal portrayed. He has such a strong lease on life far above any expectations. I can only imagine the inner spirit that drives him and am in awe of the patience he has to and the inherent talent to draw and paint the beautiful animals which come alive under his pencil.
The detail is fascinating as the eye holds you in its spell. The feathers look real enough to pet and the beak ready. What is it thinking? What holds it's attention? It looks wise beyond its years.


This guy must have taken many hours to perfect. What beauty the artist sees in this animal showing dignity and strength, and what a tribute to his patience as he painted each and every spot.

A mastiff proud with eyes that see with a softness and loyalty that only a dog can bring into ones life. Although smiling eyes can draw me to a person quickly.
So, today I'm musing about the talents I did not perfect. I wasted a lot of my time in an 'I can't' mode instead of building confidence and getting out of 'a holding pattern' which I think most of us tend to wallow in. We admire the dauntless spirit of those who fight to survive one day at a time and make themselves overcome their handicap. Then, there are those who sit back and let the world go by wishing for a better life yet do nothing to change it. Somewhere in time someone said that we are 'masters of our own ship' and that is probably true but it takes wisdom, stamina, and probably a lot of hard work to bring about the talent that requires belief in yourself. We have a new day, a day to work at perfecting ourselves in the spirit that moves us . . . so, make today a good one and do something with that hidden talent you have protected much too long.
I'm off to start a new story, about what? Who knows, I'll put on my thinking cap and stir up the cobwebs and clear the mind and maybe come up with that best seller. Don't hide your talents, get out there and show us what you've got! Live life today!



No comments:

Post a Comment