Friday, February 26, 2010

Mother Nature on the rampage.




It is terrifying just to see it as it zooms over the skies, a solid mass of energy that took everything in its path and then some. These pictures were taken in Bay, Ms. but I have no name to credit the pictures too. The tidal wave was over thirty five feet high and destroyed nine miles of the coast line leaving 14,000 homeless and destitute.


On the other hand, I was fascinated to read that in 1911 Niagara Falls froze solid, unimaginable, couldn't believe it and I had never heard the story of this phenomenon. What a year that must have been and imagine how cold it had to be to freeze the falls. I got to see Niagara Falls back in the sixties when we made our first trip across country. I had always wanted to see the falls and found the honeymoon city of Niagara very dirty and smelly. We went across the border into Canada where they had a lovely city park and got to see them from there. We went on across Ontario Provence until we got to Michigan than left Canada for Port Huron, Michigan and on until we wandered to Spokane, Washington where we stayed a whole year. The rest is more travel history for another time.






I found the pictures awesome and wondered who resurrected them. I am glad they did as it shows us a little of our history. Imagine the Niagara Falls frozen . . . I cannot. I wonder if it will happen again. Many things happen in one hundred year increments, maybe it is about time for another freeze. If you asked the folks on the East Coast about this winter, they would probably tell you that they are 'in' a deep freeze. Another storm due in there this weekend and my poor friend Joellen is about to take to the shovel one more time. She loves walking in the snow so has gotten that our of her system this winter but her attitude has been super good and she has not complained once . . . at least not out loud.











Imagine walking through a canyon of frozen water . . . Niagara Falls . . . it is truly an awesome sight.


So, today when you are out and about hopefully walking in some sunshine . . . it is raining here again today as we slosh around hoping to find something to keep our attitude from gloom and doom, get out in the fresh air and take deep breaths and use those facial muscles to smile and greet your fellow neighbors. I think the next best bet for some one smart and clever person, with money, is to build a huge walking arena, much like the baseball stadiums, for people, especially those in places where there are no walking areas in inclement weather. There could be a coffee/tea shop in the center, winding pathways that could lead to the ceiling for those with good legs and then the slower paths for those of us whose legs have already done all they can in this lifetime. You can identify them easily as they push their walkers, with seats, and wheels, and shuffle the two step down the road. I'm thinking of getting one for me. . . do you think they have wide seats, or are they all one size fits all? Well, you are not ready for one yet, so get out there and exercise, give your heart a gift today. Hugs to you all.

2 comments:

  1. I would be truly honored if you gave your poetic advice on my blog of poetry and follow it.


    http://thehumanicana.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so seldom get a comment that I missed yours. Thank you for the surprise. I do not critque well as I am a story teller and write story poems. I checked your blog and find you are so prolific with words of hope. Young, enthusiastic, and I hope successful.
    musingsbyjean.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete