Thursday, February 18, 2010

New Wheels

The newest of the new . . . Corvette C7 . . . Pretty sleek, powerful and expensive. I am not a car buff, never have been, but I can tell you I miss driving as it gives away the freedom of movement. I gave up my license many years ago because I couldn't afford to purchase a car, nor could I afford the up keep of one. More than that I was an overly cautious driver which held me back from the freedom of the road. Lucky, for me, I have had many warm and loving chauffeurs over the years and some friendly bus drivers when I have had to take one. I remember the last ride of the Greyhound bus that I caught in Reno, Nevada and rode to Carson City, Nevada some thirty miles of beautiful scenic highway. It was winter and snow began to fall heavier and heavier as we rode along. It became a 'white-out', and because I was sitting in the first seat from the driver, he looked over and asked me to keep an eye on my side of the road. I looked out and could see absolutely nothing . . . snow falling sideways and nothing moving. I told him I couldn't see anything at all and he said neither could he so we inched along hoping to pass through the valley without incidence. We did, slowly and safely but it was a ride I'll never forget.

I think the last time I drove I was with daughter Pat, and my granddaughter Erin, and we were on a mountain road with curve after curve. I thought I did a good job but the end result was Pat never offered to let me drive her car again. I think it had something to do with the line of cars backed up behind me as I drove slowly and surely around each curve . . . isn't that what you are supposed to do? I am smiling as I think of all the road trips I have been on and how enjoyable it is to get into your car and go. Living here in Brookings we have rides north, south or inland all two and a half hour rides through some of the most scenic beauty imaginable. It is our 'run-away' time for shopping in a mall or finding used book stores or antique shops.


It is just about time to 'run-away' and as soon as the weather changes from the winter rains and wind, we will decide on what direction to go. Maybe we will walk the mall and find an Easter Bonnet and a parade to participate in. Are hat's in these days? I don't think I have seen anyone with a hat on in years. In my day you couldn't leave the house without a hat and gloves on and I think when I became my own boss they were the first to go. Although there were times I felt pretty special in a fancy hat even though I was always leaving a glove somewhere. Everything changes and if we wait long enough the 'changed things' return with a vengeance.

So today, take good care of yourself when out driving in your car. Check out the new ones and see how beautiful they are outside but be sure you have a mechanic with you to check on the 'inside' as the recall of today is tremendous. Imagine Toyota recalling millions of cars for break trouble . . . now, that is frightening. Once upon a time 'made in America' really stood for something special but cheap labor got in the way of intelligence and today we see the result. Go carefully especially on the wet or icy roads. I'd be lost without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment