Saturday, March 27, 2010

Yesterday


Spring is officially here as we head into the last week of March, 2010. Our skies have been magnificent to watch as they change minute by minute each day. I wake up in the morning and look outside to see 'rain, oh dear, another rainy day', only to find that if I am patient the sun comes out, sometimes only for a few minutes here and there, or maybe for the rest of the afternoon and everyone, I mean everyone, heads for the outdoors. Yesterday was a day like that. My attitude was a bit dreary as I saw the rain falling one more day of a long wet spring, cold too, but when I saw the sunshine, my spirits soared, I put on my coat, grabbed my cane and went for a walk. A walk for me means a trip to Fred Meyers store and as I walked along a car pulled up offering me a ride. A perfect stranger was showing kindness to this octogenarian hobbling along. I thanked her and told her I was out for my exercise and she smiled and wished me a good day. I found a special card for my friend who has just moved to a new home. She has been finding it hard to make another move at her age, but she isn't all that unhappy as she is going to have a nicer room in her son's new home. She said it would be her last move and most likely it will be as she nears the ninety mark. She is excited about the new house and the big yard and the three car garage where they have been able to stock their boxes until the painting and carpeting are finished. Moving is not easy for anyone which brings me to the fact that we have new neighbors who moved in this week. My friend, Maxine, would be happy to know her house did not stay empty for long. Her beautiful rose garden will be taken care of. It was good to see lights on last evening for the first time in a very long time.
I am content after a walk as I met a friend who stopped to have a few words before going home to make her dinner. A few minutes of conversation does lift the spirit especially when a friend looks you in the eye and shows that it is good to 'bump into you'. I looked over a dozen things in the deli counter thinking I would have a hot fast meal but then I remembered the meat loaf I had baked in the morning just waiting for me to slice it up and eat it. My neighbor, LaVerne, came in with fresh leafy green chard from her garden which I cooked up with vinegar and a bit of garlic powder and it was very tasty. Then to top it off , daughter Pat came in with two lucious trout she had caught and I am going to cook them up for my breakfast. I'm not sure how to fix them but I am sure one of those cook books will give me a clue. I am not even sure I like trout, but I am about to find out.
So today whether or not the weather is good, bad or indifferent, be patient and wait and see what surprise is in store for you. I hope you find rainbows in your skies today. Make today a good one, the kind that brings a huge smile to your face . . . the face I love to see smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment