Thursday, March 18, 2010

Spring is coming




Beautiful flowers growing up in Alaska. The elk are moving in the meadows and my rhody bush has been blooming for at least three weeks, rain and all. It must be an early bloomer. The others are budding and the weeds are sitting out there among the rocks enjoying the little bit of sunshine that has been peeking in and out of the clouds this week. I spent money on a gallon of weed killer and went around dousing weeds, grinning as I thought I had the perfect solution, that was Monday, Tuesday it rained cats and dogs and the weeds are out there looking healthier than ever.
The wild turkeys are out and about in the meadows of the high country but safe, at the moment, as it is not turkey shooting time. I wonder what they taste like. I probably would treat them with the same disdain I did when, many years ago, my husband went duck hunting with friends and brought back a big duck with feathers for me to pluck and cook. It sat in a bucket of water for a day or two and the more I looked at it, the less motivation to touch it . . . so I didn't, I threw it in the garbage can and fed the great white hunter ham and eggs, something I could do in style. What can I tell you . . . I grew up in a city, have no idea of farm life and if I did I would have made pets out of every animal on the farm.
Yesterday daughter Pat picked me up and we drove over to Sporthaven beach to watch the waves. They were awesome to watch as they pounded into shore. I doubt a boat could go over the bar, they were that big and powerful. The seagulls were not flying around but huddled in a back field away from the ocean. My first thought was that there was a medium sized earthquake in southern California the day before and this may be the aftermath, but then I would be guessing. The birds are big and beautiful and always hungry.
Speaking of hungry we had lunch at 'Sebastian's', an old restaurant at the Port taken over by new people and the name changed. We thought we'd try it out and much to our surprise, found the food excellent but very pricey. It was St. Patrick's Day and I had a corn beef sandwich with slaw on the side so had my corn beef and cabbage. I didn't cook one this year as we have had it several times, as I told you yesterday, um. . . I have to watch that repeating business, the mind seems to slip into gear and thoughts spill out sometimes more than once. Anyway, the sandwich was delicious. Pat had salad and chowder and both were very good. We will return but only on special occasions as we do know where to go for good chowder, fish and chips and sandwiches which are equally as good at half the price. It is like 'they' say, you pay for the ambiance and the windows there in the dining room face the ocean and you can eat and enjoy the scenery at the same time.
So today do yourself a favor and treat yourself to some delicious food that you have been craving. Make today your day and do just one thing you have been meaning to do that makes you feel good about yourself. As my cartoon friend, Maxine, tells me on my calendar page today, "If I had a nickel for every time I've misplaced my keys, there'd be a jarful of money that I'd also have to look for" . . . Oh my, we have all been there. So with keys in hand, go out the door and have a good one. Hugs to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment