Monday, March 15, 2010

Sleepless in Brookings




I knew the change in the hour would do me in, it always does, for a night or two I walk the floors all because I'm a creature of habit and when things change my body clock does not go along with it. I've been up since two a.m., bright eyed and bushy tailed as the old expression goes. I had tea at three, not bad as it was green tea and I really wanted to eat something as I thought I should, but I knew better and held off until five a.m. I checked the e mail to find some pictures son John took in London where he is attending a week of work sessions with the new company bosses. He is not one to sit around so took himself out on the town and had a sight seeing trip around London. He took a bus to the express train and went to Paddington Station, walked to Hyde park up to the Marble Arch. He saw Kensinton Palance, Royal Albert Hall and went down to the Wellington Arch and all around it. He caught some of the St. Patrick's Day Parade and then on to Nelson's Column, passed Buckingham Palace and walked through Green Park and Constitution Hill and the Mall. He stopped in the Parliment district at a pub and had fish and chips, then on towards the river to Westminster Abbey, Big Ben and walked along the Thames. He saw the London Eye then walked backup the hill to catch the underground back to Heathrow, then the bus to the hotel. I got a kick out of his pictures of the doors and the knobs. Ireland isn't the only place where doors are the talk of the town, although I thought each one was more beautiful than the last and would love to have seen these door knobs when I was visiting London many years ago. And I was worried that he wouldn't get to see any of London!!!
We missed Peat's birthday dinner last evening . . . Happy Birthday Peat ! Pat has had a week of migraines, not fun and I twisted my bad knee yesterday showing off my walking ability while shopping for groceries. I get carried away as the baskets are just the right height and it gives me the illusion I can just run around like I used to . . . ah, the proverbial 'used to'; well I found out leaning on the basket is fine but I'm not supposed to turn around and pick things up from the bottom shelves without thinking first. I think that is what got my knee in trouble in the first place, I 'used to' bend from the waist to weed the garden and pulled muscles . . . Dr. Sullivan knows better but does she listen . . . nah, a waste of energy when one thinks one knows it all, but then I do pay a price for stupidity. Do you get the idea that I do not like having a bad knee? I cannot figure out how you would come to that conclusion.
So today be of good cheer, plot and plan your summer vacation and take yourself off to some place you really want to see. Maybe you can stop off at at the travel bureau and pick up a brochure or two, then sit back with a 'cuppa' and enjoy the thought of upcoming travels . . . Brookings isn't a bad spot. Make today a good one and smile through your tears. Well, it is not my fault you didn't save for your vacation.





No comments:

Post a Comment