Saturday, March 13, 2010

Beauty and Honor





A winter picture taken at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier during one of the intense storms that hit the eastern coast of the United States. Friends living back there said it was on of the worst winters they had ever seen in many a year and although they like to walk in the snow, it lasted much too long. The guards at the tomb withstood the onslaught of the bad weather and didn't complain a bit. They have a job to do and they do it willingly and with honor.
I loved the picture of Alaska taken byElise Tomlinson who owns a photography studio in Juneau. She wrote an assay about living in Alaska that is one of the best I've ever read. It made one want to pack up and move up there. It is a big rugged for me who has never been an outdoor person. Camping for me held no magic as I was afraid of the dark, hated creepy crawlers and any noise that sounded feral was enough to keep me far away from rugged territory. I am a couch potato and have not improved with age. My idea of an ideal vacation is a trip, to anywhere with a clean hotel room, a hot tub, a swimming pool, a few gaming machines would not hurt my feelings, and a four star restaurant with a broiled salmon dinner and a glass of wine. So you can see I am not a true outdoor person at all, but the world needs all kinds and 'my kind' seem to fit in anywhere.
So today think about a trip to Alaska to see all of its beauty and partake in some of the wonder and awe. You would meet with friendly strangers and you would enjoy salmon cooked over alder wood and the ladies band might play a tune or two for you. Or . . . you could sign up for a trip to someplace you have always wanted to see and, if the price is right, go first cabin and enjoy yourselves. It doesn't hurt to dream, even a little bit. Make your today a good one, oh by the way, the travel channel is pretty good if you are relegated to the couch these days. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment