Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Paths to Walk


No matter where you live or, for that matter, where you travel, there is a park to visit. This picture brought back memories of Auburn, California when I traveled from Virginia to California to visit my daughter Eileen and her brand new son Mason. We would have our breakfast, then out the door to have our walk in the park. The pathway had exercise stations and we would stop and make good use of them. The hour was always early and the weather crisp and clean, never to early for a conversation about life in general and sometimes about sharing a thought, or two, about an on going problem that was troublesome with no easy answer. Maybe just having a listening ear is all we need sometimes to make an awesome burden a bit lighter. It seemed to work magic as the bridge came into view and the sound of the water coursing over the rocks moving swiftly washing away heavy thoughts to lighter ones as we watched the birds flit from tree to tree and warmed as the sunlight peeked through the trees.
In my lifetime there have been many parks to remember. I could tell you a story about each one as we traveled across country with our young family, several times, and a park was the place to rest and relax before going on with our journey. I smile when I think of the jungle gym, the swings, the sand boxes and the crooked pathways that led to quiet contentment . . . 'quiet' . . . I'm kidding, the children were always so glad to get out of the car, as I was, it was a race to see who could run the fastest and who could yell the loudest....freedom!
So, today check around and see where your park is. It is time to go for a walk along the pathways and allow your mind the freedom of the outdoors. Look for a spot to have your lunch. There is something about eating outside that makes the taste buds come alive. Take the time out and give yourself a treat so you can stay healthy and happy. I have Azalea Park here in Brookings, um . . . wonder if I can talk son John away from the computer, or daughter Pat away from her lap top. I'll bribe them and offer lunch out.

No comments:

Post a Comment