Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Energetic






Exercise your right to exercise like the little bear . . . if I could get down on the floor and lift my shoulders off the floor it would be nothing short of a miracle. Walking is good and I really do not do enough of that. I love to walk but my current pace would not move the heart rate high enough to take an ounce or two off the frame. I just read an e-mail that alluded to a mermaid and a whale and how the whale was so much better off in its life, so I am content to be a whale. Of course my doctor recently told me that we really do not have to eat as much as we get older; easy for his skinny mouth to say as he counts his calories and stays skinny forever, but although he practices what he preaches, my energy comes from food and I have cut back as he suggested until those comfort foods come out of the oven and my taste bud juices overflow and I forget everything but feeding this whale. Speaking of whales, son John may be seeing a lot of them this coming year. He has just accepted an offer for work in Alaska and is looking forward to a different life style which may be a lot colder than he imagines. His friends and family are excited as it may be an opportunity to visit the beautiful State of Alaska, imagine northern lights swirling in the sky, twenty-four hours of dark or light, mosquitoes big enough to leave a welt or two and scenery that leaves one spellbound. We don't want to see him go so far away . . . but . . . we wish he'd hurry up and get settled there so we can go visit him.
I thought that greeting was cute with the drawl this morning. It reminded me of my first job in Washington, D. C. during World War II when I walked into the Administrative office and was assigned to work for a Mr. Clark Harper. I walked in and asked for 'Clak Haper' with my Bostonian accent and everyone burst out laughing. I didn't realize I had an accent, doesn't everyone? I found out the young woman from North Carolina had an accent. She came over to ask if I'd like to "Comahare" which in real English meant she was going to show me where the ladies room was and she was asking if I wanted to go and "Comb my hair" . . . a nice polite way, but it took me awhile to understand that we all have accents and need time to learn the 'lingo'.
Speaking of learning, how about the deer and the cat? I have resident deer and cats in and out of my yard constantly but never see them get this friendly. If they do, I'll rush for my camera and see if I can get a shot, of course they would have to stop eating my plants and pay attention to a cat or two before I could play photographer. Right now they lift their eyebrows when I open the door with a camera as if to ask me what I wanted; well, what I want is for them to leave my plants alone. I don't think my beautiful rhododendrons will ever grow. I cut them back and thinned them out not realizing I was making 'comfort food' for the deer. How they love new shoots, and how I'd love to shoot them....smile...I really wouldn't do that, only think about it as I try to scare them off and they look at me with such smirking disdain.
So, today there is going to be a break in the weather and the sun may come out for a little while. It did yesterday for at least an hour and that was a sight to see. Rain is good and I love it, but sunshine has a way of making one feel good about life in general, so check your weather and plan a walk outside in the fresh air. If you are young walk sprightly; if your on your way to getting older by the minute then hobble along and smell the roses. and count your blessings as you have a whole new day to conquer.

No comments:

Post a Comment